Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim…
OK, so you’ve been in a car accident and everyone has come out with all of their pieces intact. It’s time to start thinking about the next step. You need to decide what’s going to happen with your vehicle, whether or not you should file an auto insurance claim and how to go about doing it. It’s an important process, and one that you need to do the right way if you want to come out ahead.
Here are the steps you need to take after your accident in order to file your auto insurance claim:
- Is it worth it? What to do before you call your insurance company
- Figure out whether or not you need to file a claim. If you’ve got a small scratch on your car and the other vehicle isn’t damaged, it may not be necessary.
- Even just calling your insurance company to ask them about filing a claim, your rates can change
- Get your documentation together.
- Any information about the accident itself
- Were there any witnesses who may have seen the accident
- Information about the other party in the accident and their insurance information
- A copy of the police report or information about how your insurance company can get a copy of the police report.
- File quickly.
- If you’re going to file, do it fast.
- Be ready to hear from the other insurance company!
- If there is any kind of a dispute or disagreement between the parties, you’ll be contacted by the other person’s insurance company.
- They may ask you to tell them your version of the story. Realize that the conversation is probably being recorded and documented. If they do call, document the call, as well as the name of the person with whom you spoke.
- It’s time to get your car repaired!
- Once your claim has been approved by the insurance company, it’s time to get your car fix and Barrett Collision is the place to go!